It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 9:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
You Rock Guitar 
AT Regular

Has anyone had any experience with this thing? It looks like a bit of a toy but seems like a serious low budget alternative to recording midi for guys like me who can play guitar but are a bit crappy on the keys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKcKQb_aywM

For the $350 I'm willing to give it a go. The tracking seems flawless.

I'm interested to know if anyone has played one or seen one in action other than on the internet.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:41 am
AT Regular

Haven't seen or used one of these but it looks like a vast improvement on the original guitar note-MIDI converters Roland came out with in the '90s. As it's essentially a MIDI device, there should be no latency in the generation of MIDI events to be recorded in your sequencer.
...built in sounds still sound like a MIDI instrument, but it will allow for some interesting control over virtual synths or hardware synth patches.

Have fun!
Dags

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:58 pm
AT Regular

The thing that's appealing to me is the low latency midi tracking for the price. I have a bunch or real synths as well as heap of virtual one's so the built in sounds on the unit are of no consequence to me. I'm a crappy keyboard player but I've been playing guitar for well over 30 years so I'm looking for the ability to write good synth/keys parts using a guitar. The Roland stuff is too laggy and requires a ton of editing, or at least it did when i last tried it a few years ago. This looks pretty accurate as it isn't converting pitch to midi but rather works on sensors across the fretboard.

I'll buy it in the next couple of weeks and let you know how it goes.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:07 pm
AT Regular

Cool! Hope it does the job for you :)

I agree - as it's native MIDI there should be no latency at all to trigger note events. Pitch bends will take a little getting used to without a string to play with. (I'm a keyboard player so I'm used to hunting for a controller on the lower left of the board) :)

Dags

Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:13 pm
AT Regular

How did it go?
You've got me thinking about getting one...........but I'm waiting to hear what you think about it!

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]